Sunday, October 16, 2011

Eureka! Saxons that is.

Welcome, or welcome back. I haven't posted on this blog for quite some time because I really haven't had much to share in progress on the army of Hefeweizenbach. When I initially started this imagi-nation it was as an opposing force to my Principality of Fleisch-Spätzlestadt imagi-nation. However, it has until now been a nation lacking additional detail such as a flag, and in terms of gaming it lacked an army in the field...

While I've designed my Fleisch-Spatzlestadt forces around some fantastic Minden Miniatures' Prussians, I have found an army for Hefeweizenbach in the collection of SYW Saxons made by Eureka. Initially my goal was to make a not-Bavarian army, but I really liked the Eureka Saxons, so instead have gone with a not-Saxony influence for Hefeweizenbach.

Back in April 2010 I'd made some progress on the Eureka figures and here are two battalions (in Black Powder 30 figure units), along with 3 artillery crews. Following this picture, some additional work was done for base flocking and I'll have to setup another round of photos when they take their place in my first Hefeweizenbach Brigade.



Most recently, in the last two weeks actually, I've painted up some fusiliers (Saxon Rochow battalion inspired).



And with the introduction of the fusiliers, I've come up with the Hefeweizenbach flags. The tree is the ancestral arms of the duchy. The tri-barrel flag represents the aristocracy, the people, the army, and that which sustains all.


Next up for the Duchy of Hefeweizenbach will be some Grenadiers, Cuirassiers and Dragoons. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. *Great* to have news of Hefeweizenbach!
    Welcome back on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! You have flags but no map, I have a map but no flags :)

    One Saxon but yet not-Saxon option is to base your Duchy in the Saxon lands in the Thuringian/Franconian Southwest - my Saxe Marchen and Col. Campbell's Sachsen Wachsenstein are based there. Saxony by and large instructed these areas to sort themselves out!

    Besides, Saxe-Hefeweizenbach has a ring to it :)

    Both the Colonel and I seem to have indpendently based our Dragoons on Von Bruhl's :)

    Fwiw I've gone for a Garde do Corps based on 1 squadron of Cuirassiers and 1 of Grenadiers zu Pferd

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another welcome from the inhaber of the small army of Sachsen Wachsenstein. I also have the Eureka Saxons, both musketeers and fusiliers as well as grenadiers. They are very nicely done figures and were a dream to paint. Yours look magnificent!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gentlemen! I'll post my next update once I get some progress on the grenadiers. My plan is to paint them up as Kurprinzessin Grenadiers.

    Freecloud, That's a very nice map of Saxe-Märchen and a superb traveler's description of the locale. Saxe-Hefeweizenbach does have a ring to it. :)

    Mike

    ReplyDelete